Under the authority of art. III, secs. 1, 23, and 24, of the Alaska Constitution, I, Bill Sheffield, Governor of the State of Alaska, order the following in the interest of the efficient administration of state government:
1. The office of the deputy commissioner of adult corrections is established within the Department or Health and Social Services. The office shall administer the adult corrections programs, activities, and property under the custody and control of the division of adult corrections. The division of adult corrections in the Department of Health and Social Services is under the supervision of the deputy commissioner of corrections.
2. I appoint Roger Endell to the position of deputy commissioner of adult corrections in the Department of Health and Social Services.
3. In accordance with AS 44.17.010, the commissioner of health and social services shall immediately delegate his statutory powers over adult corrections to the office of the deputy commissioner.
4. The commissioner shall immediately delegate his power to adopt regulations under AS 44.17.030 to the deputy commissioner of adult corrections to provide for the following program management and accountability:
(a) the administration of the adult corrections functions of the state;
(b) the conduct of adult corrections employees; and
(c) the custody, control and use or state property used for adult corrections purposes.
5. The office of the deputy commissioner of adult corrections shall administer and bear full and complete accountability for the personnel, logistical and financial affairs of the adult corrections function of state government, including direct application to the office of management and budget for transfers between allocations within appropriations under AS 37.07.080(e) and approval of reimbursable service agreements under AS 44.65.
6. The deputy commissioner for adult corrections has cabinet level status and shall attend cabinet meetings and report directly to the governor.
7. This order takes effect July 12, 1983; however, the fiscal responsibilities of the office of the deputy commissioner of adult corrections assigned under this administrative order take effect immediately and apply to all financial and contractual transactions made for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1984 and for each fiscal year thereafter.
DATED July 12, 1983
S/S Bill Sheffield
Governor of the State of Alaska