Under the authority of art. III, sec. 1, of the Alaska Constitution, and AS 44.17.060 and 44.17.070, I order the following changes in the organization of the Department of Corrections (department):
- The commissioner of corrections shall establish the position of internal auditor within the office of the commissioner. This new position will provide the ability to measure efficiency in each of the department’s programs and operations.
- The division of community corrections is renamed the division of probation and parole.
- The division of institutions and the division of probation and parole will report to the deputy commissioner of the department. The prisoner transportation unit is transferred from the division of institutions and is established as a separate unit within the office of commissioner, reporting to the deputy commissioner of the department.
- The Correctional Academy is under the direct supervision of the special assistant for training within the office of the commissioner.
- The inmate health care unit is transferred from the division of institutions to the division of administrative services. The director of administrative services is responsible for undertaking cost containment measures for the delivery of inmate health care.
- The commissioner of corrections shall develop and implement a rank structure for the division of institutions and the division of probation and parole to streamline operations, realize efficiencies, and to clarify the chain of command within those divisions.
- For the dual purposes of cost containment and efficiency of operation, the position of assistant superintendent will be eliminated in facilities with an aggregate count of fewer than 300 prisoners on the effective date of this Order. Facilities currently assigned two assistant superintendents will be reduced to one assistant superintendent each.
- The commissioner shall merge the management of the Anchorage Jail and Cook Inlet Pre-Trial Facility into a single management unit within the division of institutions. The combined unit will be under the direction of a superintendent with an assistant superintendent assigned to each facility within the unit.
- The commissioner shall review the job classifications for probation officer and administrative staff positions and take steps necessary to make changes for efficiency and economy.
This Order takes effect immediately.
DATED at Juneau, Alaska, this 22nd day of January, 2003.