I, Tony Knowles, Governor of the State of Alaska, make the following findings:
1. Based on the information I received from the Department of Military and Veterans’ Affairs concerning the ice jam flooding of the village of Napaskiak on May 21 and 22, 1999, I have determined this event poses an imminent threat of sufficient magnitude and severity to justify state action.
2. The Department of Military and Veterans’ Affairs, Division of Emergency Services, performed a preliminary damage assessment on June 2, 1999. This assessment found that floodwaters had floated refuse from the solid waste disposal site into habitable, commonly trafficked, and recreational sections of the village. The Department of Health and Social Services and the Department of Environmental Conservation concur that the disbursal of inorganic and organic hazards exacerbates health threats within the community, which if not remedied, will threaten the health and safety of the village.
3. I find it appropriate that money from the disaster relief fund (AS 26.23.300), be expended to cover the costs incurred by the Division of Emergency Services and other state agencies in response to this event.
Under the authority of art. III, sec. 1, of the Alaska Constitution and AS 26.23.300(c), I, Tony Knowles, Governor of the State of Alaska, make the following orders:
1. The Department of Military and Veterans’ Affairs, Division of Emergency Services, is to coordinate with the Department of Environmental Conservation to clean up the scattered dump hazards and debris caused by flooding in the village of Napaskiak on May 21 and 22, 1999.
2. Consistent with AS 26.23.010 – AS 26.23.220 (Alaska Disaster Act) and AS 26.23.300(c), I authorize that expenditures be made from the disaster relief fund to cover costs incurred by the Division of Emergency Services, Department of Environmental Conservation, and other state agencies after May 23, 1999, as a direct result of involvement in the village of Napaskiak’s ice jam flood event.
This Order takes effect immediately.
Dated at Juneau, Alaska, this 19th day of July, 1999.
By: S/S Tony Knowles