I, Tony Knowles, Governor of the State of Alaska, make the following findings:
1. One of the goals of my Administration has been to make more information about state government available to Alaskans and to use less paper in accomplishing that goal.
2. Alaskans’ use of on-line services has increased so substantially in recent years that a new national study reports that Alaska leads the nation in rate of Internet use.
3. Making notices of meetings or actions of state government available on the Internet will assist Alaskans in understanding what their government is doing and increase their ability to participate in their government.
Under the authority of art. III, secs. 1 and 24 of the Alaska Constitution, I , Tony Knowles, Governor of the State of Alaska, hereby order the following:
1. No later than July 1, 1999, all departments and other agencies of the executive branch must post on the State of Alaska’s Online Public Notice website all new legal notices, notices of public meetings, notices of proposed actions, and other public notices required by statute or regulation.
2. The commissioner of each department of the executive branch must designate one employee to be responsible for posting all public notices of that department and its affiliated agencies on the Online Public Notice website. Each department must provide the name of the designated employee to the Office of the Lieutenant Governor no later than June 10, 1999. If a department’s designated employee becomes unable to fulfill these responsibilities for any reason, the department must designate another employee and provide the name of the new designee to the Office of the Lieutenant Governor.
This Order takes effect immediately.
Dated this 4 day of June, 1999.
By: S/S Tony Knowles