Under the authority of art. III, secs. 1 and 24 of the Alaska Constitution and AS 44.17.020 and 44.17.070, I, Tony Knowles, Governor of the State of Alaska, order the following reorganization of the Department of Environmental Conservation:
1. A Division of State Public Service is established, and the regional organizational structure of the Department of Environmental Conservation is eliminated. The new division is intended to provide consistent, effective community service in areas such as burn permits, complaint resolution, domestic wastewater, and subdivision sewer system reviews.
2. The Division of Environmental Quality is renamed as the Division of Air and Water Quality. The new division includes major industry air and water quality regulatory functions, which were previously managed by the separate regions.
3. The Division of Spill Prevention and Response is expanded to include oil spill prevention and response staff, previously included in separate regions.
4. The Division of Environmental Health is expanded to include drinking water, solid waste programs, and the Juneau Laboratory, in addition to its current responsibilities.
5. The Division of Information and Administrative Services is renamed as the Division of Administrative Services, and now includes those administrative services previously performed by the separate regions.
This reorganization is necessary for efficient administration, and will provide a clear chain of command for delivery of services and emergency response.
This Order takes effect immediately.
Dated at Juneau, Alaska, June 15, 1995.
By: S/S Tony Knowles