I, Walter J. Hickel, Governor of the State of Alaska, under the authority granted by Article III of the Alaska Constitution and by Alaska Statute 44.19.145(c), hereby establish the Health Care Reform Work Group. The work group is appointed by the Governor as the executive branch advisory group on health care reform in Alaska.
Access to quality and affordable health care is of vital public interest. Several plans designed to ensure health insurance coverage for all Alaskans have been proposed. This year’s debate over proposed strategies stimulated questions that could not be answered because of the lack of appropriate data and cost projections. There is a need to have an analytical frame work against which the Governor, Legislature, and public can evaluate proposed health care reform strategies.
The purpose of the Health Care Reform Work Group is to develop this framework which will be used to evaluate health care reform strategies. The work group will use this framework to advise the Governor on the benefits and barriers to implementing strategies that provide health insurance coverage for all Alaskans. The work group should provide advice regarding barriers to decision making, implementation strategies, and potential benefits to Alaskans, business, and government.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. On or before September 30, 1994, the work group shall submit a report to the Governor that:
- Provides an inventory of health care reform alternatives, including proposed or enacted federal legislation, as well as state proposals;
- Identifies data and analysis needed to evaluate proposed health care reform strategies for Alaska and accurately estimates their cost;
- Identifies the source and availability of this data;
- Proposes cost-effective means of collecting needed data that is currently unavailable;
- Describes the methodology for estimating the costs of proposed strategies;
- Identifies potential funding strategies and sources for implementing health care reform proposals; and
- Identifies components of the health care system in Alaska that will be affected by health care reform proposals.
2. The work group also shall provide other information, as requested, that the Governor needs to develop or evaluate health care reform legislation and administrative measures.
3. The work group may recommend appropriate executive branch action regarding health care reform proposals, as requested by the Governor.
COMPOSITION OF WORK GROUP AND DESIGNATION OF CHAIR
The Governor will appoint at least nine persons as members of the Health Care Reform Work Group. The work group will be chaired by the Commissioner of Health and Social Services. Other members will include:
- The Director of the Division of Insurance, Department of Commerce and Economic Development or designee;
- The Director of the Division of senior Services, Department of Administration or designee;
- The Director of the Division of Medical Assistance, Department of Health and Social Services or designee;
- The Director of the Division of Public Health, Department of Health and Social Services or designee;
- An economist from the University of Alaska;
- The Director of the Office of Management and Budget or designee;
- The Commissioner of the Department of Commerce and Economic Development or designee; and
- The Commissioner of the Department of Administration or designee.
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORTThe Department of Health and Social Services shall provide administrative support for the work group.
This order takes effect immediately.
DATED at Juneau, Alaska, this 28 day of June, 1994.
By: S/S Walter J. Hickel
Walter J. Hickel
Governor of the State of Alaska