Under the authority of art. III, secs. 1 and 24, of the Alaska Constitution, I, Steve Cowper, governor of the State of Alaska, declare that it is the policy of the State of Alaska to reduce the production of solid and hazardous wastes to the greatest extent possible, recycle as much waste as possible after it has been produced, and use products made from recycled materials as much as is technically and economically feasible. This policy is already supported by AS 29.71.050, AS 36.30.324 — 36.30.338(4), AS 46.06, and related administrative regulations.
To promote this policy, I order the following:
State agencies shall explore opportunities and implement plans to reduce, recycle, and reuse their wastes, and purchase materials made from recycled products. Recognizing that the extent to which state offices and facilities are able to reduce, recycle, and reuse their wastes, and purchase materials made from recycled products, depends on their office and facility locations, the availability of local recycling outlets and programs, and the availability and cost of recycled products, I direct department heads and other state agency managers to take the following steps:
(1) appoint an individual to serve as the department’s waste reduction and recycling liaison; this individual shall receive and distribute waste reduction and recycling information, answer questions from within the department, and investigate waste reduction and recycling opportunities;
(2) encourage and authorize the purchase and substitution of products or processes that reduce the amount or toxicity of waste produced, including two-sided photocopiers and photocopying;
(3) encourage and authorize the purchase of equipment to recycle or beneficially use wastes; this may range from bins or carts for the storage or transport of recyclable materials to equipment such as solvent recovery stills;
(4) encourage and authorize the purchase of products made from recycled materials, particularly paper products; recycled paper should be used whenever technically and economically possible for business cards, forms, publications, stationery, and other business uses;
(5) require agency staff to become familiar with pertinent waste reduction and recycling practices and to identify opportunities to implement them at their job locations; agency supply personnel shall become familiar with pertinent requirements for the procurement of recycled products and the suppliers of equipment, services, or products that relate to waste reduction, recycling, and recycled products.
This order takes effect immediately.
DATED: 20 April 1990
By: S/S Steve Cowper
Governor of the State of Alaska