Under the authority of AS 44.l9.880(c), which states that the governor may establish coordinating or advisory planning groups within the Division of Policy Development and Planning, I hereby establish the Alaska Growth Policy Council.
- The council shall be composed of no more than 12 members who are appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the governor.
- The members of the council must be individuals reflecting a wide range of viewpoints and who have strongly indicated a dedication to public interests.
- The members of the council are entitled to receive $100 per day compensation while attending scheduled council meetings. They are also entitled to receive reimbursement for travel expenses and per diem incurred on council business. Members who are legislators or salaried state officials are not entitled to compensation other than travel expenses and per diem.
- The members shall serve for staggered terms of three years each. However, the initial appointees shall be divided as equally as possible into three groups. Seats of the members of the first group shall be vacated at the expiration of the first year, the second group at the expiration of the second year, and the third group at the expiration of the third year, so that approximately one-third may be chosen every year.
- There shall be officers of the council.
- The lieutenant governor shall be chairman of the council and shall vote only in the event of a tie. He may designate a vice-chairman who shall preside in case of the lieutenant governor’s absence from meetings. The vice-chairman need not be a member of the council.
- The director of the Division of Policy Development and Planning shall be executive director of the council and may not vote.
- The chairman, vice-chairman if not a council member, and the executive director are not entitled to receive additional compensation other than per diem and travel expenses incurred on council business.
- Scheduled meetings may be of the full council or of subcommittees. Council members are entitled to receive compensation for no more than 2~ scheduled meeting days a year.
- The council shall help develop a definition of critical problems affecting the development and growth of Alaska by:
- examining the implications of processes such as population growth, community change, rural development, economic maturation, national and international influences, hanging life styles, environmental quality and others;
- providing policy, program, and other recommendations to the governor;
- providing a stimulus to citizen, citizen-group, legislative, agency, or other input to the state government in the areas of council study; and
- producing at least one report annually detailing the findings, recommendations, and areas of study of the council.
This order takes effect on January 31, 1975.
Done at Juneau, Alaska on January 31, 1975.
S/S Jay S. Hammond
Jay S. Hammond
Governor of Alaska