ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER NO. 55
JAY S. HAMMOND
OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR
June 5, 1979
Subject: State Major Project Review Process
Under the authority of Art. III, Sections 1 and 24 of the
Alaska Constitution, and AS 44.19.880, and given the need for
timely, consistent, and thorough evaluation of proposed major
projects or activities, I order that the following review process
1. Certain projects, because of their statewide or regional
significance will be designated by me as major projects subject
to a Major Project Review.
2. Any state agency to which I assign the lead responsibility
for conducting a Major Project Review shall prepare and submit
to me the information contained on the Project Analysis Summary
Sheet (Attachment A) within
10 days of the assignment.
3. By the assigned date, the lead agency shall prepare and
submit to me a preliminary Project Analysis which addresses the
evaluation factors specified by me (Attachment
4. Immediately upon receipt of the preliminary Project Analysis,
the Division of Policy Development and Planning (DPDP), Office
of the Governor, shall forward informational copies to each affected
or interested governmental agency. By the assigned dates each
agency shall submit to DPDP its review and comment.
5. During the period of agency review of the preliminary Project
Analysis, the Public Forum or DPDP, in consultation with the
lead agency, shall conduct one or more public meetings in the
affected area(s) for the purpose of receiving public comments
on the project or actions.
6. By the assigned date, DPDP shall submit in writing to the
lead agency, a summary of the review along with recommendations
for the final Project Analysis.
7. By the assigned date, the lead agency, in conjunction with
DPDP, shall prepare and submit to me, in writing and verbally,
a final version of the Project Analysis. The Project Analysis
shall include dissenting views, recommendations for further action
and, where appropriate specific conditions or mitigation measures
necessary for state approval of the project or action.
8. No designated major project or action will be approved
prior to the completion of the process described above, unless
a prior written waiver of necessity has been obtained from me.
9. The review specified in this order shall be coordinated
with procedures contained in AS 46.35, Environmental Procedure
Coordination Act, and other state review processes, as applicable.
10. No provision above is to be interpreted to interfere with
the statutory requirements of any agency in the issuance of permits.
11. This order shall take effect immediately.
S/S Jay S. Hammond
Jay S. Hammond
Governor of Alaska
Click here for attachment A
Click here for attachment B